Here’s the eminently practical, pocket-sized reference for IT and Web professionals working with Microsoft IIS 6.0. Designed for quick referencing and compulsively readable, this portable guide covers all the basics needed for everyday tasks. Topics include Web administration fundamentals, Web server administration, essential services administration, and performance, optimization, and maintenance. It’s the fast-answers guide that helps users consistently save time and energy as they administer IIS 6.0.
Portable and precise, this pocket-sized guide delivers immediate answers for the day-to-day administration of Web servers running Microsoft® Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0. Zero in on core IIS support procedures and everyday tasks using quick-reference tables, step-by-step instructions, and lists. You get the focused, streamlined information you need to solve problems and get the job done—whether you’re at your desk or in the field!
Get fast facts to:
• Install Web and application server components
• Learn core techniques for managing IIS
• Configure Web sites, servers, and virtual directories
• Customize Web content, including error messages and redirection
• Manage Web applications, application pools, and Microsoft ASP.NET
• Configure SMTP, POP3, and advanced messaging options
• Implement security features—permissions, certificates, SSL
• Monitor and optimize IIS performance
• Manage IIS backups and metabase configurations
This comprehensive administrator's reference details operating system features and capabilities and provides easy-to-follow procedures, practical workarounds, and key troubleshooting tactics for on-the-job results with the Windows Server 2003 family.
The comprehensive guide to planning, deployment, and everyday maintenance—straight from the experts.
Get your mission-critical systems up and running quickly—and maximize your organization’s productivity—with the essential guide to installing, configuring, and managing the Windows® Server 2003 family. This comprehensive administrator’s reference details operating system features and capabilities, and provides easy-to-follow procedures, practical workarounds, and key troubleshooting tactics for everyday, on-the-job results. You also get expert insights for using the improvements in system and network security features, network capabilities, and Active Directory® services—must-know details for protecting and optimizing your technology investment.
Topics covered include:
• Deployment planning: Create a deployment road map. Plan directory services structure, domains, and namespaces.
• New installations: Configure network settings, file and print services, Group Policy, Resultant Set of Policy, storage, and devices. Use Remote Installation Services. Troubleshoot setup.
• Upgrading: Prepare Microsoft® Windows NT® 4–based domains and computers. Upgrade from Windows 2000 or XP.
• Network operations: Manage TCP/IP, Active Directory services, security features, interoperability, clustering, disk management, shadow copies, and other services.
• Web services: Run and optimize Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0, Internet Security and Acceleration Server, Certificate Services, headless servers, and Web gardens.
• Client services/support: Set up e-mail services. Deploy Terminal Services. Automate software management. Use new command-line tools and scripting to simplify routine administration.
• System tuning and repair: Use monitoring tools, backups, automated recovery, fault tolerance, and avoidance. Tweak the Registry. Troubleshoot and recover services.
• CD-ROM features 180-day evaluation version of Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition.
The practical, portable guide
Whether you support 50 users or 5000, this indispensable guide provides immediate answers for the day-to-day administration of the Windows Server 2003 family. This pocket-sized resource zeroes in on core support procedures and everyday tasks for maximizing Windows® productivity—delivering critical details through quick-reference tables, step-by-step instructions, and lists. It’s the precise, streamlined information you need to solve problems and get the job done—at your desk or in the field!e to Windows Server 2003!
Get fast facts to:
• Manage and troubleshoot workstations and servers
• Administer Active Directory® domains, roles, and OUs
• Use Group Policy to automate administrative tasks
• Control system access through user and group accounts
• Install, configure, and test TCP/IP networking
• Enable remote connectivity through Terminal Services
• Manage file systems, drives, volume sets, and RAID
• Monitor—and tune—PC health and network performance
• Configure and optimize DHCP, WINS, and DNS
• Troubleshoot network printers and print services
• Implement EFS, Shadow Copy, Windows Time, and other services
Your detailed, official first look at the features and improvements in Windows Server 2003.
Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 provides significant improvements in performance, productivity, and security over previous versions. This official first-look guide shows you exactly what’s new and improved in this powerful network operating system—including advanced technologies for Web services and components, security, networking, Active Directory® directory service, Microsoft Internet Information Services, support for IPv6, and more. It gives you all the information and tools you need to understand, evaluate, and begin deployment planning for Windows Server 2003, whether you’re upgrading from Microsoft Windows NT® Server or Windows 2000 Server.